Saturday, September 5, 2015

Blueprint Watercolour Resist Tutorial

Hello everyone! Today I am excited to be here to celebrate the release of a brand new Simon Says Stamp STAMPtember® Exclusive Tim Holtz set


Here are the images in the set.

It is a blueprint set with a great mix of images, combined with wonderful sentiments. I really like these sentiments and they can be used for a large number of occasions. 

At first, I was planning to make a card, but then I couldn't make up my mind about which stamp to use, so instead I made a layout. I also though the sentiments worked well on a sweet layout to my baby boy, using one of the first photos of us two together. The blueprint stamps are so fun to watercolour, and I have quite a few projects doing just that. This time, I did a double resist technique with Ranger's Distress Micro Glaze, which is a favourite product of mine. I keep reaching for it, trying out different things. This is a tutorial. You can of course use the techniques for cardmaking, art journaling etc too.

Start by stamping the images on the rough side of Ranger's watercolour paper with Jet Black ink. The only one that I didn't use was the party had one. The papers were cut to 4 x 4 inches.

Apply Distress Micro Glaze sparingly with your finger, to the sentiments, parts of the images you want to preserve white and around the edges.

Smear Distress Inks on a craft sheet, mist with water and colour the images with a paint brush. The glaze will resist the ink.

When the ink is dry, apply Distress Micro Glaze over the stamped and coloured image, and also a little bit around the images. It doesn't need to be perfect, in fact, I was aiming for a random look.

Smear Pumice Stone and Ground Espresso on your craft sheet, mist with water and press the paper into the ink. As you can see, the micro glaze protects the colour from the brown inks. You can also clearly see the resist effect of the glaze over the sentiments and around the edges.

I forgot to apply glaze to one of the coloured images and just wanted to show you the difference. The hand to the right was glazed after colouring, keeping the Twisted Citron its true colour, while I forgot to glaze the hand to the left, making everything brownish.

When dry, distress the edges and splatter with Ground Espresso. I love this brand new brown Distress Ink colour, it has a lovely rich tone.

For the background, I used watercolour paper and smeared Texture Paste through the Splotches stencil. Leave to dry before continuing the design, to avoid smearing the first application.

When the paste was dry, I smeared Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron on my craft sheet, misted with water and pressed the paper into the ink.

And some stamping too of course, for texture.

The panels were stitched to the background with black thread.

I embellished the layout with idea-ology pieces and more stamping. The label was stamped with Cracked Pistachio and the sentiment with Potting Soil. 

Words were die cut from black cardstock with the Handwritten Love set. The Sizzix Precision Base Plate works great together with these detailed dies. Use this sandwich: Sizzix Multipurpose Platform Tab 2, Precision Base Plate with the text facing down, paper, die facing down, Cutting Pad.

I die cut two hearts from mat board and inked with Twisted Citron and Cracked Pistachio. They were stamped and stapled together and I added our names with Label Letters.

The title of the layout is stamped in an Ornate Frame, which was first distressed with paint. I used only a part of a larger stamp, from the Purely Random set, inking it with Distress Markers. Cracked Pistachio for the sun and Black Soot for the word.

This is such a great sentiment paired up with a camera image. 

I added a game spinner to the clock. 

The gears were distressed with Cracked Pistachio, Peacock Feathers and Walnut Stain paint.

I liked the combination of the distressed blueprint squares and the brighter background with those fun dots.

This is my favourite sentiment on the set, and so fitting together with a shell. For more inspiration on blueprint images and watercolouring, check out these projects of mine: Misted Marine Block Tutorial, Baby Blueprint TutorialBlueprints & Stencils, and Merry Christmas Blueprints.

Don't miss having a look at all the wonderful inspiration posted with this new STAMPtember® Exclusive Tim Holtz set. The stamp set is a STAMPtember® 2015 Limited Edition that will only be available for sale at Simon Says Stamp until midnight EST STAMPtember 30 *while supplies last.  Please remember, it is while supplies last only, and will not be for sale after September 30, 2015.

Happy crafting and have a lovely weekend!

Anna-Karin 

Supplies:




70 comments:

  1. This is amazing in so many ways! Now I need Distress Glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the best places I have found on a blog hop in a long time. You have a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing project with new Tim Holts products..Thanks for sharing and inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blue print stamps ! And the way you have used them on your page is Amazing..lovely colors ,thanks for sharing the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! what an absolutely GORGEOUS LO Anna;Karin! the photo is beautiful and I love how you used ALL the stamps! You are such a fabulous inspiration! LOVE it :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome layout!!! Great stamps and I love the Distress Glaze technique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your layout Anna-Karin. You always have such a clever idea to make stamps shine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for explaining how you used the micro glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing page. Glad to hear how to use the glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing page. Glad to hear how to use the glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice indeed. Enjoyed reading your technique for using the glaze. I think I have to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, wow, WOW, this is uhhhhmazing, Anna-Karin! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweet and beautiful page! Love the photo, and you have done justice to it with the stamping and color combos. And the stenciling behind is so effective. Always learn something here, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your tutorial and the final results are amazing. Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. An amazing layout. Great use of the stamps and so much texture on this page. Great design. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial, now I how to use the distress glaze, thanks. Wonderful project.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a FUN layout ... oh my ... THOSE COLORS ... ( gotta try that color palette) ! Okay ... gonna have to break my punishment ... seeing splotches stencil I NEED IT :)
    Great tutorial !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rea! I love stencils with dots, and that Splotches one is wonderful.

      Delete
  18. Such a wonderfully made layout! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is amazing and I love the idea of stitching them together. Thanks for sharing.

    Linda D.

    ReplyDelete
  20. lovely work, how old is that archival ink pad? wowza ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maaike! That archival ink pad is pretty old! I've been using it daily for quite a few years. It lasts for ever, all I do is to reink it now an then.

      Delete
  21. Wow. So cool. Love your glaze technique and the spots.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a beautiful layout, Anna-Karin. Love the awesome colors and the precious photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful page you made with these fun new stamps - love the techniques you used on them Anna Karin! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous layout! The micro glaze technique looks super and I love the stencil textured background. I loved the sneak peak on instagram and wasn't disappointed. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooohhh - micro glaze. This is my first time seeing it and I love the possibilities. Your coloring is beautiful and I will be trying those combinations soon. I love how you added the browns to the background of each image.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the water color colors, they are all beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  27. A sweet tribute to your happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love what you did with this project! How amazing to see so many of the images combined in such a clever and heartfelt way. And as always, I am such a fan of your mastery over techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this layout and all the techniques you used!! Love your use of the glaze!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Great layout, I picked up some wonderful ideas and tips! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful layout! Thanks for sharing some new techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful layout! Thanks for sharing some new techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very cool layout! I have never used blue print stamps but they look pretty awesome. Your attention to detail is incredible. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Absolutely amazing. LOVE your style!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful layout. Love your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  36. FABULOUS stamps!!!
    AWESOME inking and layout, LOVE the textures too!!!
    THANK YOU for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like all the ways you show this stamp set.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a beautiful layout!!! Love all of the texture and color you added to the background!

    ReplyDelete
  39. beautiful - love the technique and what a great layout thanks for sharing

    Barb Housner

    ReplyDelete
  40. wow wow wow.
    LOVE your layout...can't wait for my stamps to arrive! Thanks for the gorgeous inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  41. WOW!!! Amazing resist technique and fabulous color combo. I love the page you've created with these stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Fantastic work! TFS! The in-depth tutorial and close ups are amazing! I’m loving these Stamptember posts but it’s making it hard to choose which sets to buy! Ugh! I want them allllllllll!!! LOL

    La-Vie B.
    Follow me at C’est La-Vie Designs Unlimited, LLC

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your tutorial is the perfect example of why vendors should have designers. I saw the stamps then thought nice but how would I use them? Now I can think of many ways and thanks so much. That micro glaze is a perfect partner to distress inks.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Excellent work showcasing the stamps and products!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Just beautiful and such gorgeous colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. WOW... Amazing layout! Love your tutorial! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow! Trying to find the correct adjectives on what a spectacular layout this is! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great techniques, wonderful page. Love that micro glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Completely gorgeous work with the inks and the Micro Glaze resist. I absolutely love the bubbly background too - stunning work as always, Anna-Karin.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a perfectly beautiful layout with all his stamps...awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. A wonderful layout Anna and a great use of so many of these new products!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love how you used them on a layout instead of a card! Your double resist technique looks great too, I haven't quite gotten my micro glaze technique down yet but I look forward to trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anna -KArin I love this layout, is so sweet and beautiful! thanks for tutorial to use micro glaze! It's so interesting! I'll try ! New stamps are perfect ! Wonderful work and baby Leo is so cute! You are beautiful together! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  54. WOW...wow...wow! What an awesome page...love how you have used the blueprint stamps...brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Very nice all the different things that you did to those stamped images and the background!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Loved this tutorial....thanks so much for sharing...so many ideas...you have a new subscriber...happily crafting..

    ReplyDelete
  57. Anna, this is amazing!! I am in love with this layout, and your baby will treasure it one day!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!