Monday, November 25, 2013

Christmas Daily Worn Journal

Hi everyone! We are counting down to Christmas this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, with this holiday countdown challenge that Ashli suggested. I made a December Daily mini-book.

December Daily 2013 - Layers of ink
I like Ali Edward's idea of a December Daily, but I don't print photos at home so it isn't practical for me to do a page with photos every day. Last year, I made a simple December daily mini book, wanting something where I can quickly write down what we have done every day, without doing a specific layout for each day. This year, I wanted to do something similar, but in a different format. For my base I used Tim Holtz Composition Worn Cover, which is perfect for this kind of project, not too small, not too big and it is easy to add more pages. I used tags for my inside pages and embellished the cover with a mix of die cuts, rub-ons, stamps and Idea-ology pieces.

For another example using Tim Holtz worn covers, check out my Book of Random Things.

I glued Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements fabric to grungeboard, let it dry, and die cut with the Victorian Carolers die. This die has such intricate details. The edges were inked with Gathered Twigs.
 
The new white Christmas Remnant Rubs look great on the cover. Make sure you rub them real well so that they stick. If an edge is lifting, use a bit of matte multi-medium to stick it down again. White paint was rubbed into the word band and I layered it on a label stamped with Vermillion ink on a leftover tag.

The reindeer was painted with Evergreen Bough Distress Paint, most of which was rubbed off, to create a patina effect.

I used this calendar stamp on my December Daily last year too, here I stamped it with Watering Can ink on a leftover inky tag. Together with a muse token and label stickers it forms the title of the book.
 
I like the tag format and tags also fit perfectly into the cover. The tags were coloured by applying small spots of Distress Stain on my craft sheet, misting a tag with water (both sides) and pressing one side at a time into the ink. I really like the addition of a little bit of Brushed Pewter, which gives a nice metallic look to parts of the tags.

When the tags were dry, I made a template and punched holes in all the tags. I often leave this step to last, but keep placing important stamped images where the holes will be, ending up with holes in Santa's face etc. This time I remember to make the holes first. Numbers were stamped with Vermillion ink and Hero Arts Copper Plate numbers set.

 Instead of using my normal Gathered Twigs, I inked the edges with Iced Spruce.

My favourite ledger stamp, from Tim Holtz School Desk set, was stamped with Iced Spruce, holding it in my hand instead of mounting on a block.

I pulled out my Tim Holtz Christmas stamps and stamped them on the tags with Watering Can ink, which is a great grey ink. I had fun making each tag different. All the stamp sets are listed and linked in the supply list.

I stamped a little star/snowflake with Evergreen Bough on most pages.

The smaller stamps on the Mini Holidays (1-5) sets work great for this type of project.
 
We celebrate Christmas mainly on Christmas Eve, which is why Santa is coming with his gifts on that tag.
 
I went all the way to 26 December, since we celebrate Christmas until then. On the back of the tags, I stamped portions of the large Fabulous Flourish with Evergreen Bough ink, first stamping it off once on a scrap paper.

The inside covers of the journal I used were light grey, which worked well for me, otherwise you can paint them, as I did in my Book of Random Things. They were stamped with a whole bunch of Christmas stamps, using Watering Can ink. The stars/snowflakes were stamped with Evergreen Bough paint.

I used a large ring binder and attached it with hitch fasteners. Somewhere I saw someone who did this and thought it was a cool idea, sorry, I can't remember where I saw it. I can easily add extra tags if I have more to say, or to add extra photos.

I also placed some of the new page pockets at the back, for bits and pieces, mementos, photos, and whatever I might think of. 

You need to add a little bit of glossy accents to the tissue tape to make it stick down firmly. I added more rub-ons to the spine and here you can also see the hitch fasteners.

I hope you will join us this week and as always one random participant wins a $50 voucher from Simon Says Stamp.

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/servlet/StoreFront
 
Thank you so much for looking!!

Happy Christmas Crafting!!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Composition Cover, Grungeboard; Ranger manila tags
Dies: Sizzix: Victorian Carolers
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink: Watering Can, Vermillion; Distress Ink: Evergreen Bough, Pumice Stone, Iced Spruce, Gathered Twigs
Paint: Distress Paint: Evergreen Bough, Picket Fence

43 comments:

  1. this is wonderful Anna-Karin!
    Thanks for sharing your details!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you did an awesome job! I love everything about it and YAY I have pretty much everything to make one. I saw the hitch fasteners too. Sorry, I can't recall either. I picked some up for my CC102 Worn Cover book. Great challenge inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna-Karin,

    AMAZING job on this journal. I love everything about it from the fabric covered carolers (I may have to copy that idea) to the pages that are... pretty much genius. Once again,great work.
    paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW WOW WOW!!! I love this piece. Beautiful cover using the Victorian Carolers. The tags are amazing too. Thanks for sharing. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna-Karin...your book is fantastic. You always have such wonderful ideas and your craftsmanship of each is flawless. This little tag book is brilliant! I love the way you've used Tim's Worn Cover book here. Love the cover with the carolers, the word stick and the rubons. They just look like they were MADE to go together! Each of your tags on the inside are adorable, too. Great use of Tim's stamps and a beautiful project!! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning. I love the tags on the inside and the black and white image on the inside of the covers and the outside is a masterpiece. What a lovely way to capture memories of the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its fantastic !!I loved the deer..the tags..everyhing !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I love seeing the process of how you put those tags together too! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an awesome book. Lots of interesting tags and embellishments. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a stunning idea and I love how you have put it all together... Seriously I need to get my bum in gear.... I love this project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spectacular work of art Anna-Karin! Love your attention to detail! Not only is the cover out of this world but it is packed with gorgeous tags! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous & artistic! Love the look of the deer & all your details!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous project for the holidays, Anna-Karin. I love the beautiful embellishments and details on the cover. The stamping and coloring on the tags are wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous journal Anna-Karin, fantastic idea to,jot down everything you do in December, lovely keepsake. Imlovemthe front cover and the calendar is a lovely touch combined with the die cuts. Love the vintage colours too. Brilliant. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so gorgeous, Anna-Karin! Love everything about it. What a great idea to make a mini album! All the tags are so beautifully decorated! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!!!!! What a neat tag book!! All of the embellishments are just perfect!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cool! I love the book idea. I like this idea so much better than having to do a full blown thing each day. AND...I LOVE THOSE TAGS! And the memorabilia pages.....brilliant! Beautiful project, Anna-Karin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy canoli! This color palette is to DIE FOR! I am so impressed with how you achieved that gorgeous aged-copper green on so many elements! You are the queen of supplies and the queen of techniques. I always walk away inspired, so thank you for sharing yet another drool-worthy piece!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Anna this is absolutely gorgeous!!! Let me know if it needs a loving home LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been so tempted by those worn covers, and you've just put the finishing touches to my "need"! Absolutely delightful... I love the inky tags inside with all that fabulous stamping too. Great inspiration, as always, thank you.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing! love the tags , love the cover, love all in this project! Wonderful as always! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE this Anna-Karin! Such a great project!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this idea!! The cover is gorgeous, and the tags are perfect. I would really like to try this instead of my DD this year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow this is great!! I love the things you come up with!! And you make it all look so easy! Really enjoy your art and blog. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial. Your journal is gorgeous. Such a good idea to journal a bit each day of December. It would be a nice gift for my daughters-sharing my thoughts and inspiration with them. Your distressed tags are awesome!!! Hugs, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, this is wonderful, thanks for the tutorial, I would really like to make one myself! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this...is there a trick using Hitch fastners....I have tried to used them with the binder clips and can't get them to stay...thanks for sharing your priject!

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW ... gorgeous cover and the pages are so awesome... amazing color combo and stamping details!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very Nice and love the distress feel to it all.

    Thank you for sharing such great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful journal book! Love all the tags. Congrats Anna-Karin on being one of Tim's Holiday noteworthy blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ohhhh what a wonderful idea :) Being German I have always celebrated Advent and this would be perfect to log each days events, happenings and thoughts making each year something to remember. Have a TH book cover waiting to be embellished !!Thank you for your inspiration and wonderful creations that you so generously share with us all. Happy Jul :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I cannot believe what I just read! this is beautiful & an excellent tutorial; you make it look less painful than I anticipated, when I first viewed the topic; thank you for sharing such details of your book

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amazing! Like all you do, this is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just saw your link featured on Tim's blog. This book is incredible! I love each and every little detail. It has inspired me to try making my own book. TFS your talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have been to your Blog before and enjoyed looking at all your fantastic projects. This book is no exception-love it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful project, makes me want to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anna,
    What a GREAT project I LOVE it!
    Thank You so MUCH for sharing.
    Happy Holidays!
    LoriM

    ReplyDelete
  38. Just a wonderful art piece. Love your use of the hitch fasteners...definitely going to use this idea. Your color choice is excellent. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is a great, great, wonderful and wow piece. I love it... Thanks for sharing and I hope to attempt this style soon, have the goodies, need to find the time. Theresa Goldman

    ReplyDelete
  40. SO AWESOME! I ve ordered the cool ledger and number set.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!